Monday, May 28, 2012

What The Font!

Recently I have spend a lot of time looking at awesome typography artwork and tried to find out the basics of typography and tried to familiarize myself to fonts. In this process I found out the reason why Helvetica is the best font when it comes to designer and why designers hate Comic sans. What I have learned is that every font, serif or sans serif signifies something.... a certain mood and typography is a different ball game all together. The basics of typography are very interesting ... technical stuff like apex, baseline beak, axis etc which freaks me out. While trying to figure out more about type faces, fonts and typography, I fount an amazing creative which is a Periodic Table of font and Hell Yeah that helps......  these are Must have fonts with Helvetica ruling the chart.


So crux of the matter, I started paying a little more attention towards type faces and fonts. As a result, I have started noticing banner of famous brands to find out the fonts they have used (which is kind of crazy coz in a middle of conversation, I go "Hey they have used 'Century Gothic' "or "Wow nice use of 'American Typewriter' " and rest of people go "What??" ).

Like recently while roaming around in DLF Promenade  (Vasant Kunj) I figured out that the banners on the lift's exterior has used Font called 'Dax'.

Recently I downloaded a bunch of  free handwritten fonts for some projects and used them.....  while playing around, I found a free font called Hands of Sean and used it for a website page for Let's Design Season 4, Cotton Council International's initiative for fashion designers, and thts not all, I felled in love with that font and used it more then twice like for my cover photo for Facebook timeline along wid Klavika (Facebook font)..




My Timeline Cover photo

My creative for Cotton Council International's event Let's Design 4 website. 




The thing that was interesting is that few days later, I found two advertisements on air on TV which were using the same font as their branding like Expedia.co.in  and Lay's new campaign's caption "Pal banaye magical", as well as in intro of a bollywood movie "Ek main aur ekk tu"







    
       













No comments: